Viewed 637 Times 0 Comments

There are several ways to tell us your new address:

Methods to Change Your Address
Method Action
Tax return Use your new address on your tax return
IRS form Use Form 8822, Change of Address or Form 8822-B,Change of Address or Responsible Party – Business
Written statement Send us a signed written statement with your:

  • full name
  • old address
  • new address
  • social security number (or individual taxpayer identification number or employer identification number)

Mail your statement to the address where you filed your last return

Oral notification You can tell us in person or by telephone. We’ll need to verify your identity and address. Please have ready the information we have on file for you, such as:

  • your full name
  • your address
  • your date of birth
  • your social security number (or individual taxpayer identification number or employer identification number)
Electronic notification You can only notify us electronically if your refund check was returned to us. Use Where’s My Refund?to complete your change of address online. You will need your social security number, filing status, and the amount of your refund. For more information, seeUnderstanding your CP31 Notice.

If you filed a joint return, you should provide the information and signatures for both spouses.

If you filed a joint return and you and your spouse have since separated, each of you should notify us of your new, separate address.

Representatives filing a change of address for a taxpayer by form or written statement must attach a copy of their power of attorney or a Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative.¬†Unauthorized third parties cannot change a taxpayer’s address.

Any new address you provide to the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) may also update your address of record on file with us based on what the USPS retains in its National Change of Address (NCOA) database. However, even if you notify the USPS, you should still notify us directly as not all post offices forward government checks.

If the change of address relates to an employment tax return, the IRS will issue notices of confirmation (Notices 148A and 148B) for the change to both the former and new address.

It can take four to six weeks for a change of address request to be fully processed.

Was this answer helpful ? Yes / No