Viewed 1519 Times 0 Comments

How can I check the status of my refund?
You can check the status of your refund online by using our Where’s My Refund? web service. In order to view status information, you will be prompted to enter the first social security number listed on your tax return along with the exact amount of your refund shown on line 33 of Form D-400, Individual Income Tax Return.

You can also call our toll-free refund inquiry line at 1-877-252-4052, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Refund checks are written weekly. If you contact our refund inquiry line and you are advised that your check has not been written, please wait 7 days before calling the refund inquiry line again.

My refund check has been lost, destroyed or stolen. What should I do?
If your refund has been lost, destroyed or stolen, you must write the NC Department of Revenue to request another check. We must have your written authorization before issuing a stop payment or beginning forgery proceedings. If you filed a joint return, you and your spouse must both sign the letter. Be sure to include your current address, social security number, the tax year and a statement asking for a stop payment or for the Department to begin forgery proceedings.

We will notify you in writing within 30 days after receiving your letter to advise you of the stop payment or forgery procedures. In the case of a stop payment, another check is usually issued between 30 to 60 days from the time the Department receives your letter; however, if your check has been cashed by someone else, forgery proceedings will take at least 120 days to be completed.

If you receive your refund check after you have mailed your letter requesting a replacement check, do not cash the check. Instead, return the check to the NC Department of Revenue.

Mail your written request to NC Department of Revenue, Attn: Customer Service, P O Box 1168, Raleigh, NC 27602-1168. For faster service, you may fax your request to (919) 733-5750.

If I owe the IRS or a State agency, will I receive my NC refund?
Before the NC Department of Revenue issues a refund, we are required to check for any outstanding debt that you may have with the agencies of NC or the IRS for which we have received notification. If any such debt is found, the amount you owe may be deducted from your refund. Examples of this type of indebtedness would be owing Child Support or owing a university for a student loan.

State and local agencies of NC may file a claim with the NC Department of Revenue for a taxpayer’s refund.

If all or a portion of your refund is applied against your debt with another agency, the NC Department of Revenue will send you a notice to identify the state agency receiving your refund and the telephone number of the agency. If you file a joint tax return, your spouse’s portion of the refund will not be applied to your debt. If a portion of your refund is sent to a state agency, the remainder of your refund will be mailed after the offset occurs.

If you owe the IRS, the total refund shown on your return may be sent to their agency. If you file a joint return, there is no provision in State or Federal law that allows the NC Department of Revenue to prorate your IRS refund. If you have “innocent spouse” status or “injured spouse” status with the IRS, you will need to contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 for any refund that may be due.

If you have had all or a portion of your refund withheld because of a debt and you have questions regarding the debt, you should contact the state agency or the IRS, who claimed your refund rather than the NC Department of Revenue. The Department of Revenue would not have any additional information concerning your balance with the state agency or with the IRS.

I checked the status of my refund and I was told that all or a portion of my refund has been applied to my indebtedness with the NC Department of Revenue. I was not aware that I owe the Department. Who can I call to get more information?

You can call toll-free at 1-877-252-3052 to get information about your balance with the Department.

I have moved to another address since I filed my return. My refund check could have been returned to the Department as an undeliverable check. What do I need to do to get my check forwarded to my new address?

In most cases, the US Postal Service does not forward refund checks. Please contact the Department toll-free at 1-877-252-3052 to update your address or write to: NC Department of Revenue, Attn: Customer Service, P O Box 1168, Raleigh, NC 27602-1168.

How often are refund checks mailed?

Refund checks are mailed weekly.

Will I receive interest on my refund?

You will receive interest on your refund if your refund is not issued within 45 days from the date the return was due to be filed, the date the return is filed, or the date of the overpayment, whichever is later.

Where should I mail my return if I am due a refund?

You should mail the return to NC Department of Revenue, P O Box R, Raleigh NC 27634-0001.

I received a Form 1099-G from the NC Department of Revenue. What does this mean and will I receive a refund?

If you claimed itemized deductions on your federal return and received a state refund last year, you will receive a postcard size Form 1099-G statement. This form shows the amount of the state refund that you received last year but does not mean that you will receive an additional refund. Generally, your State income tax refund must be included in your federal income for the year in which your check was received if you deducted the State income tax paid as an itemized deduction on your federal income tax return. Please click here for additional information about Form 1099-G and Form 1099-INT.

I have checked the status of my return and I was told there is no record of my return being received. What should I do?

You can mail a duplicate return to NC Department of Revenue, P O Box 2628, Raleigh, NC 27602, Attn: Duplicate Returns. The word “duplicate” should be written at the top of the return that you are mailing. Please allow 12 weeks for your original return to be processed before mailing a duplicate return copy to this address. The duplicate return must be an original printed form and not a photocopy. Faxed copies are not accepted.

My refund check was mailed to my old address. I contacted the Department and I have received my check, but the check is now 6 months old. Will the bank still cash the check?

A check from the NC Department of Revenue is valid up to 6 months after the date on the check. If a check date is older than 6 months, you should mail a letter along with the refund check to NC Department of Revenue, Attn: Customer Service, P O Box 1168, Raleigh, NC 27602-1168. Your check will be validated and re-mailed to you.

My spouse has passed away and my tax refund check was issued in both names. How can I get this corrected?

Since a joint return was filed, the refund check must be issued jointly. When presenting the check for payment, you may want to include a copy of the death certificate to show you as surviving spouse. You may return the check to the Department and we will include “Surviving Spouse” and “Deceased” next to the respective names on the check. Should you need to return the check, please mail to: NC Department of Revenue, Attn: Customer Service, P O Box 1168, Raleigh NC 27602-1168.

I filed a joint tax return. Which social security number should I use when inquiring about the status of my income tax refund?

Either social security number can be used.

How long does it take to receive an amended refund?

If you filed your original NC income tax return incorrectly, you should file an amended return. Note: New for tax year 2015, you no longer use a separate tax form (Form D-400X) to amend your original return. All changes will be made on Form D-400. For further information, see Page 17, instructions for Filing 2015 Amended Returns in the North Carolina Individual Income Tax Instructions (Form D-401). You should receive your amended refund within 6 months from the date filed. If it has been more than five months since you filed your amended return, please call 1-877-252-3052 for assistance. Select individual income tax then listen for the refund option to speak with an agent. Please do not call 1-877-252-4052 as instructed in the main greeting. Interest will be paid on amended refunds at the applicable rate.

Was this answer helpful ? Yes / No